The area of the town of Monastier (Treviso) has been studied comparing the current regional technical map with the map of the Geographic Military Institute (1923) and the ones of the Napoleonic (1810) and Austrian (1842) land registers to highlight changes.
The original map of 1810 cannot be consulted and the Venetian State Archive does not have photos of the eastern part of the area, beyond the river Meolo.
As far as history is concerned the Benedictine abbey of S.Maria del Pero, whose properties occupied a large portion of the territory, influenced the dimension and the exploitation of the land, witness the latifundium marking the area, an exception in the countryside surrounding Treviso.
At the end of the XVI century the decline of the Abbey together with the crisis of the agriculture – which hit the entire Po Valley in the first half of the XVII century – marked a gradual subdivision of the latifundia.
The papers, which bear witness to the setting up of the municipalities of Monastier and Losson (1806), show that a large part of the territory was uncultivated and became wooded or flooded land. Moreover two settlements were founded along the river Meolo, which passes through the area from north-west to south-east with large bends, and whose flow has been changed, witness the comparison between the Napoleonic and the Austrian land registers. The first settlement was founded by the Benedictine Abbey, the second one is the current area occupied by the
municipality of Monastier.